- Overall rating: *** three stars (worthwhile). In some ways it is a must see (once), but...
- Honestly, who has the attention span for a four hour movie? I thought we were done 1/2 way through, and would have been just as happy if we had been. I gave this three stars, but if I had to sit through it all at once, I would have gone mad. The way I watched this one, in 10 minute chunks, is the way to do it. Instead of showing it all in one night, ABC should have serialized it as a 1/2 hour show on Sunday nights.
- The songs in this movie were either spectacularly good (the title sequence, "How Do You Spell A Problem Like Maria," etc.) or complete duds. Luckily, mostly the former. (So that's where "So long / farewell / auf Wiedersehen / goodbye" comes from!)
- I really like Julie Andrews. I've only seen this and Mary Poppins so far, but she has been dynamite in both. I guess I need to keep my eyes open for S.O.B.
- This probably goes without saying, but man do the Nazis ever know how to suck all the joy out of a room.
Saturday, March 14, 2009
"The hills are alive..." sounds ominous to me
The Sound Of Music (1965) today: watched the last 10 minutes while folding laundry. I've been watching it off and on in 10 minute chunks since ABC aired it almost three months ago. I think I had seen bits of it before, but I had never seen it all. Here are my observations: